Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
FOOTSCRAY residents who may lose their homes in a compulsory acquisition process started by the state government last week have been told they won't know for two months if their houses will go.
The news comes as the Department of Transport says it does not know how many trains will run on the Regional Rail Link project when it is completed.
This is despite the $4.3 billion project having been planned for the past two years.
The new set of rails, which will run from Werribee to Southern Cross Station, are designed to give dedicated rail space to V/Line services, so that country trains no longer mix with slower suburban services.
The cost of consultants hired to design the new rail line appears to be spiralling, with seven of the 30 consulting companies employed having renegotiated their contract with the government in the past year.
Among those to have secured extra money from the Department of Transport is KPMG, whose $500,000 contract was bumped up to $1.5 million.
Another, Coffey Rail, was to be paid $141,000 for work on signalling, but will now get $1 million.
At a meeting last night in Footscray, organised by local Greens MP Colleen Hartland, about 100 residents whose houses are likely to either be demolished or affected by the new rail line said they had been left bewildered by the lack of process surrounding the compulsory acquisitions.
''People have been left completely unsupported at a time of absolute vulnerability. They want to know their legal rights,'' said Ms Hartland, who arranged for several property lawyers to speak at the meeting.
Houses in the strip of Footscray earmarked for demolition have been bought and sold as recently as six weeks ago, and at least two owners who got notices of possible acquisition are midway through renovations.
A $20 million Salvation Army aged-care hostel in Buckley Street that is being built close to the existing rail line is due for completion in September. It too could also be partly demolished.
Others, such as Victoria Street resident Milos Pelikan, are outraged that the demolition of other peoples' homes means a new elevated section of rail track will be built just metres from their houses.
He and five neighbours will now be left on an isolated pocket of land.
Residents became aware last Monday their homes would likely be compulsorily acquired for the rail line, after being first told about it by reporters.A spokeswoman for the Department of Transport, Ilsa Colson, said: ''We expect to know the full extent of the land we require in September.''
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.