Public Transport Victoria forum hears call for more Maryborough train services
State Government Commits to Developing Rail Infrastructure for Victoria
Horsham residents to be quizzed about future use of dormant rail corridor land
No choppers here: Malcolm Turnbull takes the train to Geelong
Opposition Leader Matthew Guy backs Melbourne Airport rail link
Jail time for train threats to Vline Staff
Premier Daniel Andrews hears efforts to address Central Goldfields disadvantage, push for more Maryborough trains
The Inland Rail Link Melbourne to Brisbane a Similar Case as the RAA's Bendigo - Geelong Rail Link
North-West Rail Alliance urges more council support amid push for return of Mildura passenger rail
Grampians Rail Trail: Shire calls for community to step up and manage facility
Federal Cities and Urban Infrastructure Minister Alan Tudge has defended a decision to give NSW more than double the amount of funding for infrastructure projects than Victoria in the upcoming budget, despite the state's dire need for help in recovering from economic fallout of COVID-19.
Victoria's coronavirus lockdown continues to drag on the nation's economy, with jobs lifting in all states and territories aside from Victoria last month.
Minister for Population, Cities and Urban Infrastructure Alan Tudge.CREDIT:ALEX ELLINGHAUSEN
On Monday, the federal government announced NSW would receive $2.7 billion for "shovel-ready" projects, as part of a $7.5 billion package in Tuesday's budget, while revealing just $1.1 billion had been earmarked for Victoria.
The Victorian funding is set to go to accelerated projects, including upgrades of the Shepparton, Warrnambool and South Geelong to Waurn Ponds rail lines, as well as a number of smaller scale projects in Melbourne, and is expected to create 4000 jobs.
Minister Tudge defended the carve up of money for projects, stating that the Victorian government had been granted funding for all of its requested "wish list" bar one project, and that 30 per cent of all federal coronavirus payments had gone to Victorians already.
"We are absolutely funding the things which the state government has requested that can be done immediately. And that's the criteria," he told ABC Radio Melbourne's Virginia Trioli on Monday.
"By the end of this year, Virginia, 60 per cent of the entire JobSeeker program funding will be going through Victorians – 60 per cent."
Mr Tudge in turn put pressure on the Victorian government to revisit building the scrapped East West Link to create more jobs in the state.
"One of the biggest ones that, obviously, we've been pushing forth for some time, has been the East West Link, where we have $4 billion still sitting there as a contingent liability, wanting to be spent. And that's the entire public funding for that massive project, which would support another 4000 people," he said.
"When you have unemployment, which is going to be above 10 per cent, possibly higher here in Victoria, which is not seen since the early 1990s, then we need to re-examine some of these things."
Premier Daniel Andrews wouldn't be drawn on whether it was unfair that NSW was set to receive more than double the amount of funding as his own state, but did hit back at the Transport Minister's suggestion that the East West Link was a "shovel-ready" proposition.
This article first appeared on www.theage.com.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.