Response to Austrains' announcement of a C30 tank and C30T
An Announcement from Austrains - SDS acquisition
Connecting loco and tender - Hornby Top Tips
Trainorama 830 class 847 review
Under the Portuguese Sun - Tree planting
Bachmann new GWR Earl Class review
Reconnecting with a childhood hobby
James May urges nation to 'save Hornby' as shares plunge 62%
Hornby boss quits after third profit warning in five months
Statement from Ixion Model Railways Ltd
And 5 1/2 years later, we finish this thing.
I’d noted that the Walthers DPM Wilhelmi’s Mercantile was one of the first items purchased for the NPP, and it’s been ‘standing in’, for itself, I guess, ever since. Time to wrap this up.
The next hurdle in the build was the exterior signs. The original thought was to decal signs on the windows, but my experiments with that did not go well. I then realized that the commercial tenants are paying a premium for large display windows, and would be unlikely to cover them up. Looking at photos, it appears that period shops in similar buildings put signs over the windows. So that’s what I did. 0.015″ sheet styrene was cut to size and covered with printed signs, then mounted above the display windows.
Next up were the fire escapes. These are the same Gold Medal Models offerings used on Marsan’s. A little more experience yielded better results, except for one of the roof stile handrails, which flew off into the Twilight Zone of Lost Parts. As it was the last one, that was a problem. Efforts to fabricate a replacement from other handrails were not as successful as I would have liked, so the stile has one handrail. I’ll just hope the fire marshal doesn’t notice. If I find the lost rail (!), I’ll mount it. I must say that these etchings look very good, and are easy to mount. CA was used for the assembly and mounting.
I needed a couple of exterior lights for the back doors, and there were enough parts in the Project Plate to fab some up. A hole drilled, and mounted above the doors. Ethyl Acetate for solvent.
Up on the Roof
The stairwell door was mounted, and as it’s the highest point on the layout, the NPP has ‘topped out’. Soil pipes and roof drains completed the roof details.
The sandpaper roof has not been properly fitted, and had developed a significant bulge:
I sliced the paper and flattened the roof, then ran a black marker to simulate tar. This would have been OK, except rubbing the roof to flatten it whitened the roof. I could not think of a logical explanation for this, so cut some scale 4′ strips and laid down a repair. The edges were lined with a 70% Charcoal Grey marker. I considered laying down some ballast for a gravel roof, and may yet, but so far I’m okay with the roof.
Weathering was with Pan Pastels, and after putting some Rust streaks under the fire escape, I used a fan brush to apply Black overall, then Raw Umber along the bottom of the walls.
This article first appeared on northernpacificproject.wordpress.com
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.