Response to Austrains' announcement of a C30 tank and C30T
An Announcement from Austrains - SDS acquisition
Connecting loco and tender - Hornby Top Tips
Trainorama 830 class 847 review
Under the Portuguese Sun - Tree planting
Bachmann new GWR Earl Class review
Reconnecting with a childhood hobby
James May urges nation to 'save Hornby' as shares plunge 62%
Hornby boss quits after third profit warning in five months
Statement from Ixion Model Railways Ltd
Another rebuild with a short plug door; it might have been to clear the overhead ice racks. They are no longer in use as the roof hatches on this car have been plated over
Beginning in the early 1960's CN started rebuilding some of it's relatively new 8 hatch ice reefers into mechanical reefers. The roof hatches were removed and plated over, and a variety of plug doors were installed with many getting full height plug doors replacing their original doors. Some cars kept their original plug doors, and based on photos no cars with swing doors kept them after rebuilding.The numbering series were all over the place in the 22X000 series; http://www.nakina.net is your best place to try to unravel the complex numbering history of these cars. CN used 222600 series rebuilt reefers for service to Churchill as head end cars on passenger trains until 1983. I need these cars for my layout, although I will move the loading point from Thompson to The Pas for more operational interest; if I left the loading point in Thompson these cars would never show up on my layout!I have accumulated a pile of TLT 8 hatch reefer shells and cars over the years along with quite a few Funaro and Camerlengo CN 8 hatch reefer kits in a variety of configurations. I'll keep a few 8 hatch reefers as ice reefers as they survived in various services until the late 1980's. I've started figuring out how to build these cars. The car underbody details are challenging as to my knowledge no drawings exist and no cars are left. Even detailed photos are challenging to find. Thanks to Richard Yaremko I have some good high resolution slide scans, and I also have a few slides in my collection of these cars. Between these sources I started figuring out how to draw the underframe details. Since we know the size of the side panels on the model and prototype I scaled the generator, battery box and fuel tank using that dimension. I drew this in HO scale so hopefully it will fit. Constantly referencing photos while doodling got me to this point:
The red item is the fuel tank, gold item is the genset, dark green item is the battery box and the blue and red item is ductwork that is visible on some cars. Other cars appear to have different ducting. Having the ducting as a separate part should make modelling the variations relatively easy.
Don't look for a lot of detail on the genset engine - I don't have anything to go from so a box will have to do for now. If anyone has better photos (or even measurements!) please get in touch so I can improve this. The nice thing with 3D CAD is that you can easily change things.
I sent the parts to my friend Mike M. who has an Elagoo Mars (and new Saturn!) to have them printed for test fitting. Mike has "volunteered" (more like I pressganged him) into drawing new car sides for the rebuilds as his CAD skills are much better than mine. We'll see where we go with this in Part 2 once I have the test parts and hopefully new car sides.
This article first appeared on hudbayrailway.blogspot.com
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.