AT&N #401, A Decapod at the Age of Steam Roundhouse
Pennsylvania Power & Light #4094, Largest Fireless Steam Locomotive
New interactive installation at London Transport Museum this summer
The Port Carlisle Branch
Small Wonders: WHEELS OF MIS/FORTUNE
London Transport Museum to host Elizabeth line ‘street party’
York’s National Railway Museum renews partnership with Porterbrook
London Transport Museum launches 20% off sale
‘Act-on It!’ open days for London Transport Museum’s Acton Depot
Experiences of a Woman Yardmaster, 1975
When the Norwood & St. Lawrence (N&StL) Railroad began operations during the early 1900s, many expected the company to be just another short line in New York. But thanks to its resilient owners, businessman Omin E. Martin and industrialist Charles H. Remington, the railroad experienced significant growth and demand. Early on, the N&StL only owned and relied on older, secondhand locomotives. The railroad took a big step 1923 when the railroad bought its fifth steam locomotive, the Norwood & St. Lawrence #210, new from the manufacturer.
Norwood & St. Lawrence #210 waiting permanent display. (Photo: Hugh Llewelyn via CC by 2.0)
Brief History of the Norwood & St. Lawrence #210
Norwood & St. Lawrence #210 is a high-boiler 2-6-0 (Mogul-type) steam locomotive built in 1923 by ALCO in their Cooke Works in Paterson, New Jersey. It was a coal-powered engine that was designed with a second dome located behind the steam dome. It also had an all-weather cab, which was quite a rare feature on a Mogul-type engine.
N&StL #210 was used both in freight and passenger service on the railroad, though a significant part of her career was spent serving the Norfolk Mill, which was a significant source of business for the railroad. The locomotive enjoyed a steady career until 1956, when the Norfolk Mill closed. Furthermore, the railroad also joined the diesel bandwagon by purchasing a diesel locomotive later that year. So without the traffic of the Norfolk Mill, N&StL #210 found herself without a consistent route.
#210 on display at Steamtown.
But even with this gradual decline, #210 continued to work as a freight locomotive until 1973 when the service was discontinued and the line abandoned, marking the end of the last steam-powered short line railroad in the state of New York. It was after this that this historic steam locomotive was acquired by Steamtown National Historic Site.
Although she is in decent condition cosmetically, remarks in a National Park Service report about the locomotive did not paint a bright future for restoration, referring to Norwood & St. Lawrence #210 as a ‘tired, worn out locomotive’.
Looking for Big Steam? Steamtown has you covered giants Nickel Plate #759, Reading #2124, and even a Union Pacific Big Boy (#4012)
N&StL #210 Today
Norwood & St. Lawrence #210 is on static display at the Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA. While it is unlikely that she will return to steam again, the locomotive is preserved by the National Park Service, which operates Steamtown. For more information about the park and their roster of historic steam locomotives, be sure to head over to the Steamtown website.
This article first appeared on steamgiants.com
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2022 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.