Perth train passengers most satisfied rail commuters in Australia: survey
Rail sounds spectator safety alert
Hunter workers in running to build new train fleet
Rail access deal on arbitration track
Manage grain on rail issue: WAFarmers
Growers fear January rail access issues
West Australian rail network operator says state government investment needed to reopen Tier 3 rail freight lines
FMG mulls railway expansion
Western Australia needs a state-wide infrastructure plan to support mining and resources growth, says peak industry body
Historic Golden Mile Loopline Railway from Kalgoorlie to Boulder in WA Goldfields set to live again
The operator of an iron ore train which derailed in the Goldfields last week says it is still investigating the cause of the incident.
The Kalgoorlie to Esperance railway line was set to reopen today after 28 wagons, loaded with iron ore, came off the tracks near Widgiemooltha just after midnight last Thursday.
There were no injuries, according to iron ore miner Mineral Resources and track owner Arc Infrastructure.
The train was travelling from Mineral Resources' Koolyanbobbing iron ore operations near Southern Cross to Esperance Port.
About 300 metres of track was damaged in the derailment. (Supplied: Lynn Webb)In a brief statement to the ABC, the company run by billionaire Chris Ellison said it was reviewing the cause of the derailment.
It did not reveal any details about the impact on the operation or exports out of Esperance Port.
"The cause of the incident is presently under review," a Mineral Resources spokesman said.
"Mineral Resources has been advised that operations will resume on that line today."
Mineral Resources exported 10.5 million tonnes of iron ore from its Koolyanobbing operations last financial year, with shipping out of Esperance and Kwinana ports. (ABC Goldfields-Esperance: Jarrod Lucas)Find more local news
Second major derailment in three yearsRail operator Arc Infrastructure said almost 300 metres of track was damaged and that its investigation into the cause was continuing. It said normal operations would resume today along the line.
It was the second major derailment along the Kalgoorlie to Esperance line in three years after 30 empty iron ore wagons derailed near Norseman in November 2018.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau told the ABC it was continuing to gather information and was yet to decide if it will launch a formal investigation into the cause of the derailment.
The Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator has been contacted for comment.
Southern Ports, which manages Esperance Port, said there had been no major disruption to its operations caused by the derailment.
The cause of the derailment is not known at this stage. (Supplied: Lynn Webb)
This article first appeared on www.abc.net.au
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.