Gabon railway concession extended as investors fund expansion
National Railways of Zimbabwe orders Russian wagons
Angola links mining region to the world with Lobito Corridor
Angola to launch concession for Benguela Railway
Thelo and DB to build $US 1bn iron-ore line in the Congo
Nigeria approves $US 11.17bn Lagos – Calabar coastal line
Maputo – Harare container train launched
Hyundai Rotem to supply EMUs and locomotives to Tanzania
TransNamib and Botswana Railways sign container terminal MoU
South Africa courts third-party operators to support rail redevelopment
The City of Cape Town says it will work with other arms of the government to arrest those responsible for recent train fires.
Three train carriages were set alight at Cape Town train station on Saturday night.
This comes just a week after 11 carriages were set ablaze, costing Prasa an estimated R50 million in damages.
Brett Herron‚ Cape Town's MEC for transport, says, “We don’t have any lead about the recent fires that could lead to an arrest or prosecution. Clearly, there’s a well-orchestrated programme or campaign to totally destroy our rail system. In the last week, we’ve had three fires.”
Meanwhile, Transport Minister Blade Nzimande says those who have damaged trains in Cape Town will be brought to book.
A special task team comprising the South African Police Service, local and national government and the National Prosecuting Authority will conclude its investigations by the end of July.
On 26 July, a fire at the Retreat Station is estimated to have cost Prasa R20 million.
This article first appeared on ewn.co.za
About this website
Railpage version 3.10.0.0037
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest is © 2003-2021 Interactive Omnimedia Pty Ltd.
You can syndicate our news using one of the RSS feeds.